Sunday, January 9, 2011

Beauty and the Beast (1991)



Believe it or not, this was the first time I'd ever seen this movie.  Going into it, I was expecting it to pretty much be the second coming, due to all my friends hyping it up.  While it was good, it isn't the best Disney has produced.

Beauty and the Beast is more of a musical than Disney's other Renaissance Era ('89-'99) films.  The stand-out songs are "Belle," "Be Our Guest," and "Beauty and the Beast," of course.  However I was also impressed with "Human Again," a song that can only be found in the extended edition.  The animation is also impressive, most-likely having been state-of-the-art in it's time.

I'm not sure why it took me so long to see this, but I'm glad I waited.  As a child, I don't think I would have appreciated the romantic storyline or some of the more adult-oriented humor.  It may not be Disney's "masterpiece," (a title I believe belongs to The Lion King) but it is still a great film that was worthy of it's Best Picture nomination.  A-

No comments:

Post a Comment